Thursday, June 12, 2008

Do you FEEL pregnant?

The short answer is no. Some women have told me that they just knew that they were pregnant. I, on the other hand, had completely convinced myself that I had skipped my cycle just 2 days before we got the "+" sign. But, now that I have the confirmation, funny things have been happening... Of course we started reading the required "What to Expect When You're Expecting" book. Expect to read this book if you're expecting. In it, we learned that I should have feelings of fatigue. Why, yes, I was really tired the other day! Oh, we only slept 4 hours the night before?... And, I did feel nauseous (the most difficult word to spell in the English language) that morning I went walking with Sarah. But, I did take a vitamin on a relatively empty stomach and it was 95 degrees outside... The gym has also made me queasy from time to time lately. I've always blamed it on the new rubber mats they put down (and even complained to the staff about it)... Maybe all these symptoms of pregnancy can be explained away. Maybe they're compounded by my new "status". I have taken my newfound pregnant-ness to mean that I can sleep in, be lazy, and eat whatever I want. I have to fight the fatigue and nausea somehow, right? Maybe the next edition of this book should tell moms-to-be that they should be feeling optimism, hope, tolerance, and patience. I bet women would start noticing those feelings in their lives. Maybe even experience them more. The mind is a powerful thing.

No comments: