Friday, January 4, 2013

baby love

There's just something about baby love that invades the heart.  If you are like I was just a few years ago and rarely spent any time with babies or toddlers, I encourage you to.  And do it without reservation.  Be silly.  Just let yourself go.  Open your heart. 

Part of having twins for me has been learning to receive from others.  We've received meals, babysitting, clothes, but most of all love.  Love for us and for our babies.  It took some learning.  I felt guilty at first while knowing that I needed the help, all the while trying to figure out how I would pay back this debt of gratitude that I was feeling.  I've tried to be a good friend to all those that have helped and hopefully if there was any resentment for giving without receiving, I've offset that some.  But, recently, I'm starting to think that maybe the twoddlers have paid some of that debt for me. 

The past few days, life has slowed down a little and I've ignored some "responsibilities" and I've embraced more of those moments to be present with my sweet, wonderful children.  The result, I have moments when I feel like my heart is going to explode.  There is nothing like, what our dear friend, Candy, calls baby love.  She has poured out her heart loving on our babies.  And, in return, I hope and believe that she has also had moments when her heart feels like exploding snuggling or giggling with the twoddlers.  She has received baby love.  I hope you can get you some, too.  Be careful, though, it's a pretty strong emotion, so only open up for it if you're really ready for it.

And, this might be the scene as you depart from your baby love (as captured by Candy after a baby love visit):


They just might not want you to go!  But, they'll be waiting when you come back with warm hugs and laughter and new tricks!

No comments: