Sunday, November 24, 2013

the power of sleep

This isn't rocket science.  I am a much happier and pleasant person when I am well rested.  I am now convinced that one of the reasons Sylvia and Rafa are generally such good kids is because we've been very consistent about and protective of their sleep.  Until Oscar arrived.  Then, things started going downhill.  Partly because the extra variable through us off of our game plan.  And partly because when he doesn't sleep at night, NOBODY sleeps at night.  He discovered his lungs.  And oh boy, did he.  So, we've all been suffering. 

I thought it was mostly because I was tired and impatient with the kids.  But, no, they're also quite exhausted and tired of O not sleeping through the night.  One morning, after a particularly bad night, I got the kids dressed and ready for daycare.  As we were heading downstairs, she grabbed her lovie (nu-nu) and said to me, "Dormir?"  Uh, have you ever heard of a 2-year old asking to go to bed??!  She must really be tired... 

And then, we decided to start sleep training Oscar last night.  That was a good move.  After a few nights this week of 2.5 or fewer hours of sleep (and not in one go), we got to sleep for 6 hours last night!!!!!!  Woo hoo!!!  And, I guess it was also good for SylRafa because they were delightful today.  Just delightful. 

Here's hoping we all continue to get good sleep.  For, you know, at least 18 years or so...

No comments: