Tuesday, April 1, 2014

looks may be deceiving

We are in between nannies (again) and only have backup child care until 1pm.  Since it's backup care, the kids are at home all morning, so I've been taking them out in the afternoons for their sanity and mine.  Yesterday, I took the kids to a friend's house for a play date.  Our friends were outside playing with their next door neighbors.  So, we joined in and played with the welcoming family. 

Today, we didn't have backup care, so I took BabyOscar to the office with me.  Thankfully, he slept for 2 hours and I was amazingly productive.  Because once he was awake, I was so nervous he was going to ruin something that I kept peeking at him, which definitely reduced my productivity.  D, unfortunately, caught something and spent most of the day sleeping.

So, when the kids woke up from their nap, I was set on getting them out of the house.  It only took about 45 minutes to get shoes on, but once we did, we head out.  The kids dug around in the dirt, played with chalk someone had left behind, ate dinner at a picnic table, and got covered in pollen.  Lo and behold, whom should we see?  The generous neighbor from our play date, who was at the park to pick up her boys from soccer.  She was amazed that I was at the park with all three little ones on my own.  I told her that our kids are really good kids and that going to the park isn't like feeding vegetables, washing hair, going to bed, or the other myriad things they don't like doing.  We chatted a bit more and she went off to meet other soccer moms.  Oscar is a little under the weather, too, so after the kids finished eating, I got the kids packed up and headed to the car. 

As I neared the car, wearing my Bjorn, with a carseat in hand, 3 backpacks (diaper bag and two cooler lunch bags) and Rafa and Sylvia following, the sweet play date neighbor asked if she could give me a hand.  I assured her that I was fine and that if I needed help, I wouldn't be afraid to ask.  And, without incident, the kids and I loaded up the car in a leisurely 3-4 minutes.  As I got in the car, I thought to myself that somehow I got lucky with pretty much the easiest park visit ever.  The kids played on their own.  They shared.  They went to the table and sat down to eat.  They followed me to the car without much protest.  They got into their car seats without a fight or a tear.  It was magical. 

I am so grateful for the offer for help.  We moms should support each other and we should also accept help instead of always just thinking that we can do everything all ourselves.  While I'm grateful my kids were a breeze, I also want that mom to know that while it looked like I had everything under control today at the park, I think it was the exact opposite once we got home.  Everything was a battle (getting in the bathtub, washing, getting out of the bathtub, picking PJs, getting PJs on, picking books, etc.) that culminated with Sylvia wailing a heart wrenching plea complete with uncontrollable sobs and tears for about 30 minutes because she didn't want to go to sleep.  Thank goodness I had the magical afternoon to help me endure the bewitching hour!

No comments: