Sunday, March 25, 2012

to schedule or not to schedule

In child rearing, everyone has an opinion. And a very strongly, heartfelt opinion. And most aren't shy about sharing. For me, it's a wonderful thing. I'm not really in to reading all the books or many of them for that matter. I've tried. I posted about a few I was able to get through. I keep a few for reference sources. But, when it really comes down to it, I prefer polling the masses. Perhaps because I'm extroverted. I like to think its because I can ask questions and get more nuanced information. It's really probably because I'm lazy, let's be honest. Of course, I take everything with a grain of salt and filter for what works for my family. What I've learned is that there's not right way of doing any of this. Just different ways. With different outcomes. The right and wrong depends entirely on your values and desired outcomes.

There are many different styles of childrearing which can clumsily be grouped as parent-led, baby-led and combo. Most people probably thinks they're in the middle (combo), and of course I think I am more than most.

The thing about twinfants is that you can't really decide to do things your way. They teach you flexibility. We've tried to more or less let the babies dictate their schedule (baby-led) except that when one baby wants something, the other gets it, too (parent-led). So, if one baby gets tired, they both nap. Well, at least we put them both down. Which in the past meant they both napped. Now they are fighting back more if they don't want to sleep. It's coming to a head as we contemplate going from three naps to two. I'm really resisting their being on different schedules. At least so far, they seem to be getting tired enough to still need 3 naps, but I can tell it's coming that one is going I want to make the switch.

They are also getting pickier about where they sleep. Sylvia, in particular, is having a hard time sleeping in places other than her crib. I suppose that might be a reason to go to 2 naps. If we can't get her to nap while we're out, 2 naps will give us a little more freedom.

Although I suppose in some ways this is getting easier, it feels like it's really just getting to be different.


No comments: