Monday, April 1, 2013

nanny update

For those that have wondered, the new nanny is working out well. She loves the twoddlers and is super sweet. She keeps them safe and active. She definitely hits the basics. If they learn her kindness and joy and Spanish, we're feeling good about her being such a big part of their lives. The icing is that she also loves to cook and fixes great food for them, tidies during their naps without hesitation and has a 'can do' attitude which makes us feel less guilty if we need to ask her to do something above and beyond. PLUS, there's more, her schedule is very flexible and has been a great help for babysitting.

While chatting with her after she babysat while David and I both had work events (and she emptied out most of our kitchen to prepare for the exterminators), I learned that not only is she the eldest of 10 kids (TEN!), but her mom had a set of twins when she was 8 and another when she was 10! Since she was the eldest, she was essentially her mom's extra set of hands (and feet and everything else, I imagine).

We also had a great conversation about her 'teaching' style and while I probably should have made that part of interviewing her, I didn't. I consider it extra super bonus points that she and I are on the same philosophical page on that, too.

So, I'd say things are working out jut splendidly! I know there will be times that I'll need a reminder of this. I guess it's a good thing I blog. The reminder will be in the cloud for eternity.



2 comments:

Jason said...

She sounds great! Are you still searching for a daycare center, too?

C said...

Yes, I probably need to call to see where we currently stand on the waiting lists to see if we should try to get in somewhere else. Most people say that moms hoard spots until August and then decide where to go and spaces free up. But, of course we don't really want to be left at that point without an option. Thanks for the reminder!