Friday, August 1, 2014

the land of the whine

We've arrived.  Welcome to the land of the whine.  Where every request and most statements carry the same tune.  Starts high pitched and a tad nasally, and tapers down on the last, drawn out word.  And, because we were doubly blessed, we get it in stereo sound.  I'm trying to decide if I prefer Oscar's crying to the whining...  The crying is worse, except that I excuse it more.  I mean, he CAN'T use words and a normal speaking voice.  Let's just agree that they both tie for terrible.  A phase I hope they escape and stat.  My hopes were dashed a little when another mom with a tween and a teen told me this week that they both still whine.  If it goes on for that many years, you might find me perpetually in another land of wine.

I might count tomorrow, but I'm fairly certain that I hear "Yo quieeeeeeeeero..." and "No quieeeeeeeeero..." more than any other word every day.  ("I want" and "I don't want")

"Pero" ("but") is a close second.  It's probably Sylvia's favorite thing to say.  She already has about 1,000 reasons why she can't do whatever is being asked of her.  "Pero, pero, pero..."  [pause to think of a reason...then continue] is very common in our house. 

I've started employing any and every manner of strategy to nip this in the bud.  And it's an attack on all fronts.  Ignore, bribe, mimic, we've got it all going on.  I fear I will soon start whining to D before bed, "Why won't they sto-o-o-op?..."

No comments: