Friday, April 10, 2015

jokes!

We're really punny and corny around our kids. I think it's part of the parent job description. Or just a parental survival instinct. So far, the kids really only get the totally goofball jokes that are truly off the wall. When we say things that they know are not reality. This morning: did you spill your syrup on the floor because it was hungry? Or counting: one, two, FIVE! They love that stuff. They don't make it up themselves yet, although they mimic our silliness.

Last night, I snuck into their room after getting home late to say goodnight. I went to Rafa's bed and planted a big one. Then I turned to Sylvia's bed (she had escaped, coming over to Rafa's side of the room) and went to her bed in the same way and buried my head in her pillow as if I would have kissed her had she been there. The kids cracked up. And kid giggles make my heart dance.

Then both kids wanted to do the same thing, so they would go over to the other bed and bury their heads in the pillows and just laugh. In their world, jokes are still funny the second and third and fourth and fiftieth time around. Ah, joy.

As I was leaving, I stood by the door and blew kisses and told them I loved them and that it was time to sleep. Then this:

S: I want to play!
C: I want my kids to sleep (part of my futile attempt to get my kids to not say 'I want' ALL DAY LONG.)
S: I don't
C: I do
S: I don't
C: I do
S: I don't because I don't have kids
C: [laughing]

I don't know if I was more amused, more proud, or more excited about this new chapter of interaction. I think this *might* be her first intentional joke. Milestone moment.

No comments: