Monday, December 3, 2012

hope

On the first Sunday of advent, we celebrated hope.

From Merriam-Webster: 

intransitive verb
1: to cherish a desire with anticipation
2 archaic : trust
transitive verb
1: to desire with expectation of obtainment
2: to expect with confidence : trust 

It made me wonder, what is it that I hope for?  Of course, there are all the really common ones, everlasting life, health, freedom from want, happiness and fulfillment, et cetera, et cetera.  But, more specifically, what do I hope for today?  I posted a shorter version of this on Facebook, but wanted to add this here with a little more color and where I can keep it with other random thoughts of mine that I or my kids might one day go back and enjoy.
  1. I hope my kids will grow up to have incredible empathy. -- I believe that they will be filled with more joy and peace if they can see the good in others and can view the world through lenses other than their own. 
  2. I hope the Texans will win the Super Bowl this year. -- Aside from loving the hometown guys since day one, because of Andrew Luck, there is fear in our house that if we don't do it this year, we're going to struggle for many years being in the same division with Mr. Luck.
  3. I hope the amount of love people have for each other in this world will continually increase. -- OK, so this should probably be in the really common list.  It's sort of my description of the creation of heaven on earth.  Well, not originally mine, but embraced by me.
  4. I hope my house will one day be orderly and clean. -- I suffer from the unfortunate combination of a strong desire for order and the inability to maintain it. 
  5. I hope diabetes and cancer will soon have a smaller impact. -- Probably also for the common list.  It is amazing and sad to me how many people are impacted by these two diseases.  Very recently, we've been watching a number of friends go through cancer themselves or one of their loved ones.  
  6. I hope United gets its act together pronto. -- I really miss Continental. 
What do you hope for?

No comments: