Wednesday, March 13, 2013

imagination

I have an image in my head from this morning that I can't seem to shake, so it must be special enough to document and share.

When I went into the twoddlers' room to get them up this morning, VERY uncharacteristically, Rafa didn't immediately rush to the side to be airlifted out of his cell, er crib.  So, I picked up Sylvia, chose outfits for the day, and started the morning tasks while Rafa held onto his lovie and chilled.  He started pointing at things on a side table, so I handed him a construction paper butterfly and a dry wipe that we used to attempt to clean his allergy stricken nose last night.  Sometimes we guess what they want when they point, sometimes we are left completely in the dark.  He seemed content with those two things, so I ceased cleaning the top of the table by relocating everything into his crib.  I went about changing Sylvia's diaper and clothes and turned around to catch the moment that has been emblazoned in my head all day. 

Rafa was sitting in his crib with his toy Sammy Owl in his lap.  He had taken the dry wipe and was carefully cleaning Sammy's nose/beak.  I'm so grateful I caught that moment.  I like to think that it reflects a tender side of Rafa trying to care for his toy.  I also like to think of my kids growing up and playing make-believe and beginning to imagine.  Maybe he's just imitating our actions, I'll never know, but it appeared so sweet and imaginative.  And I feel like I just caught a glimpse of what might be flickering through that little brain.

I never would have understood before having kids how these little moments are what make it all worth it.  And I don't think I can explain it to anyone else who doesn't understand.  But I understand now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the moment JV