Saturday, March 16, 2013

preferences

So, the twoddlers have preferences. For those with kids, I know this is no news flash. But somehow it hasn't quite sunk in. You would think that all of the food battles would have made it apparent, but that's not making choices and having preferences, that's just doing everything to make mami and papi crazy.

Well, today Rafa made it clear he knew what he wanted. We were getting dressed to go run errands and got to the shoes. As I was putting on Sylvia's shoes, Rafa ran off to get a pair. Now, mind you, I had already picked out a pair of light blue crocs that matched his outfit that he had been carrying around while I changed clothes.

When he came back, he had a pair of Sylvia's sandals in his hands. 'Patos'! (Short for zapatos, shoes in Spanish.). He was doing his 18-month best to put them on (which means pulling his foot towards himself and putting the shoe next to the foot). I humored him and put them on. He got down and looked at the shoes and got on his tip toes for his first few steps, clearly excited and ran away, dancing. I kid you not, he was delighted. When he came back to play, I tried to take those off and put on the crocs, which I did successfully, but he cried throughout. And kept reaching for the sandals. D and I decided to just let the kid wear the sandals. We have bigger battles to win...

Here he is in complete delight showing off the sandals. This is the face he also had when he got to put the sandals back on.





No comments: