Tuesday, July 9, 2013

back on bed rest

We're at it again...  Last week, I started having very frequent Braxton Hicks contractions.  So, I went to see the doc and he checked me out.  The good news is that I didn't have to go to the hospital.  The bad news is that he asked, "Can you do bed rest for a few days?"  Fortunately, yes, if that's what would be best to keep baby 3 from making an early arrival, I can.  He really was concerned about my making it to 34 weeks, which I didn't realize at the time was only 2 days away.  So, after a follow up call with the doc's PA, they are suggesting that I stay on bed rest for a week and then reassess how my body is doing.  I'll finish that week of bed rest today.  My next appointment is Friday.  The contractions have slowed down since I've started taking it easy.  And, I have to admit, I've cheated a little bit.  I suppose since my body had progressed quite a bit more last time I went on bed rest and then I kept cooking those babies for 2 months, I'm not as nervous.  Plus, there's only one baby this time.  And, the doc didn't order bed rest quite as firmly as the last time.  And we're already so much further along (we'll match the twins' gestation on Saturday).  Perhaps I'm rationalizing a little so that I don't have to be confined to bed all day, but I promise I'm keeping good track of my contractions and abandoning my cheating if it feels like my body isn't up to it. 

In any case, bed rest this time I find easier than last time.  Maybe because I'm cheating a little.  Maybe because I still can lie down on the bed in Sylvia & Rafa's room and read to them or sing their bedtime songs with them and that's more interesting than just being by myself all the time.  It was very helpful, though, for me to go back to some of the posts on round one and see how I handled it the first time.  I got some inspiration on other bed-ridden "activities" that will add a little variety to my days.  Hopefully, I can start doing a few more things that are not super strenuous in the next few days.  I'm going to try to work from home for at least another week and then if I'm doing little things around the house, I can still escape to bed as necessary.

Just as a reminder, the due date is August 15, so we still have a little ways to go.  Also, interestingly, July 4 weekend was essentially the last weekend that I was up before going on bed rest last year.  Maybe my body just doesn't want to be outside during the summer!

No comments: