Thursday, June 16, 2011

imagining the big day

I heard that in the past, hospitals didn't resuscitate babies unless they were 24 weeks old, but now they'll do it at 23 weeks.  (yipee!  We're in 23!)  Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy never knowing the answer to that question, but it is starting to sink in how close we're getting to the big day. 

And it made me start thinking about that day.  That day is scary.  Exciting, but scary.  At some point, I will likely experience something strange (water breaking, increasing contractions, etc.) that means, get your behonky to the hospital!  It will probably be unplanned.  Out of nowhere.  All of a sudden.  I won't be prepared (I mean, I'll never be prepared, right?).  I will be so excited.  I will be incredibly nervous that something will go wrong.  I will feel out of control.  Helpless.  Thrilled.  While I'm going through this roller coaster of joy and worry, D will be the happiest person on this side of the world.  He will be excited, like a kid in a candy store.  We'll both forget something really important.  We won't care.

It'll be a day we'll never forget.  Although we might edit out a few details from our memories.  :)

3 comments:

tuuli said...

Are you going to try to deliver vaginally? You're not having a scheduled c-section? That's wonderful!

C said...

Tuuli,

We'll likely end up having a C-section, but even though we might even end up scheduling, many twin moms don't make it to the scheduled date, so I'm preparing myself mentally for that.

tuuli said...

That makes sense, to be prepared for anything but keep an open mind since you don't know how things will play out... I imagine many pregnant women probably fall into the trap of knowing exactly what they want to happen, and then being disappointed when things are different from their plan.

PS. Happy anniversary!