Monday, June 27, 2011

the hospital & some randomness

On Saturday, we took a tour of St. Luke's, the hospital where we will likely deliver.  It was long.  But, good to get better acquainted with the hospital, where to go, etc.  It's about a 1/2 mile walk from our house.  3.5 blocks.  Of course, come delivery day, I won't be walking.  Then it'll be a 0.8 mile drive from the house (assuming that's where we'll come from). 

Fortunately, we are already fairly well acquainted with the hospital.  It's where my mom spent a few weeks a few years ago and where my sister-in-law delivered her twins earlier this year.  I did learn on the tour that her room was one of the larger rooms since she got a corner.  Here's hoping we're that lucky! 

We got a big tease by seeing a delivery room, which is quite nice considering it's a hospital.  We won't grace the doors of this kind of room since we're considered high risk.  We also saw the operating rooms, which is where we'll go no matter what kind of delivery we end up with--just in case. 

It all made me reflect on how lucky we are to live so close to such good medical care.  Our hospital is connected to Texas Children's and if we need a NICU, that's where the babies will end up.  One of the women on the tour lives in New York, but will come down to Houston 4 weeks before her delivery date to have access to the Texas Medical Center.  In most situations, the high level of care isn't necessary, but because we're having twins and because they often come early and with some breathing or other problems, we are incredibly fortunate to have these resources, almost literally in our backyard.  Grateful.

So, I've now gained just shy of 1/3 of my starting weight.  I get winded going upstairs to the bedroom.  Embarrassing. 

I'm starting to train someone at work to take over for me while I'm on leave.  This is becoming more of a present reality.  Now, what in the world should I do with my email inbox?  I fear the thousands of emails that will pile up while I'm gone. 

Good news is that doc said everything continues to look really good.  25 weeks!  Pretty amazing how close it's getting...

No comments: