Thursday, October 4, 2012

technology and kids

My sister-iu-law sent me this article that features one of her colleagues.  It's a good read for parents today.  http://www.houstonfamilymagazine.com/category-1/time-to-wean-off-the-screen/  We have certainly "heard" that we shouldn't let our kids watch TV for 2 years.  It didn't occur to me that that also applies to other electronic devices.  I certainly bought into the idea that good, educational apps would be beneficial to my kid.  Aside from the general message of, zero tolerance for screen time before age 2, the things in the article that hit home to me were:
  1. Watching TV interferes with infants' sleep. And with all the current research about how important sleep is (and that includes my last year of empirical research), I've been trying to guard their sleep as much as possible.
  2. Even if my kids aren't using my phone, if I am, I'm not focusing on them (although, for about a month, I have tried to be strict about not being on my phone unless there's an emergency during the few hours I have with the twinfants, particularly because they already have to share their time)
  3. By the time the average person reaches age 70, he or she will have spent the equivalent of 7 to 10 years watching television.

No comments: