Tuesday, October 18, 2011

the birth

It was brought to my attention that I didn't blog about the main event.  I'll spare you most of the gory details, but share some of the highlights. 

Here's the timeline:

2:10 pm - After having a sensation that I thought my water was going to break, it did.  My sis-in-law also had that sensation before her water breaking for her twins this spring.  Mother's intuition begins.

2:15 pm - Call D and tell him that I think we need to go the the hospital.  Without asking any questions he packs up to come home.

2:30 pm - D arrives at home and I tell him what happened and that I started bleeding and that I think we should call the doctor.  Obviously, D agrees.  Doc's nurse asks how soon we can be there, I tell her 10 minutes, she says come on in.

2:50 pm - We check in at the doc's office.  Okay, it took us a little more than 10 minutes.

3:30 pm - We see the doctor, everything looks good, still lots of fluid in both sacs, but he does a test and discovers that it is indeed amniotic fluid and that it's time to deliver the babies!

4:00 pm - We arrive at the hospital

4:30 pm - I'm ready for surgery.

5:00 pm - I get wheeled into the operating room.

5:59 pm - Sylvia is born.

6:00 pm - Rafael is born.  D got to watch the doc burst Rafael's sac and the fluid gush everywhere.  He also watched the doctors wrestle Rafael out of me, which was no easy thing.  That boy was happy where he was! 

6:30 pm - I'm in recovery where my parents came to stay with me while D was with the babies.

8:30 pm - I get moved to my private room for the duration of my stay at St. Luke's.
 
It was an amazingly quick process after months and months of waiting.  I really wanted to make it until week 36 for the health of the babies, but I was also very ready to not be pregnant anymore.  Here are a few pics from the big day.

The last pic of the giant belly.

D sporting his fly OR duds.

Sylvia greets the world!
Rafael is here!

It's fun to see them at birth as a reminder of how much they've grown.  Since I see them every day, I don't notice that often, but this is a good reminder.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the comment you made about them changing over time is so true. When you're with them everyday, it's easy to think things haven't changed all that much, but looking back at pictures is really telling and helps you take stock of what an amazing process it is.