Wednesday, October 5, 2011

no more night nanny

We had another not great night with Sylvia last night, which included my spending 30 minutes calming her when the night nanny didn't do anything to try to make her feel better about her tummy problems.  So, this morning when I asked the nanny what we should do differently to make her feel better, it sparked our nanny to offer to quit and refund our money.  So, I accepted.  She then went on a tirade about what a great nanny she is, about how my doctor is terrible, blah, blah, blah, solidifying my feeling good about accepting her offer.  I've struggled with her since the day she started because I've felt like she did everything to cut corners and lied to me about it.  I decided to keep her on because I didn't think she was doing anything to harm my babies, but I also never fully felt like I could trust her or felt like she was doing what was best for my babies.  I know I'll never find nannies who will do everything just the way I want, but I guess I never got over the fact that she lied to me about what she was doing with my babies.  In any case, now the fun REALLY begins!  Somehow, I'm not really stressed about it, so I guess that means it was the right decision.

The moment that was most irritating, was her parting blow.  Let me recap the morning.  I went in to ask her how we should address Sylvia's tummy pain and crying and fussiness because I don't want to go in every night and calm her down.  Nanny then criticized me and my doctor because she has all the experience in the world and knows exactly what's wrong with Sylvia (and why she doesn't do anything to make it better, I don't understand).  Nanny then offered to quit and I accepted.  Nanny then went on a tirade about all the things that she didn't like about working for me (mostly that I get different advice from my doctor than what she's doing, that she's doing her best, and how dare I WATCH her on the video monitor) she ended with: "And I thought you were a Christian, I really did."  Why do people say that?  First, yes I'm a Christian, which means that I recognize that I'm not perfect.  Second, what exactly did I do that was not-Christainlike, even if you're holding me to Jesus' standard?  Would he have not accepted your resignation?  It was your offer?  If you don't want to work for me, why would I talk you into working for me?  So I can have a nanny who doesn't really want to be here?

So, here we go!  Thank goodness David's sister-in-law, Karen is coming for a few days!!  God knew we'd need her tonight.

4 comments:

eyrieowl said...

Wow. Yeah, I hope you find a new nanny who has their head a little more firmly grounded in reality. If you need someone to take the babies for your outing (and potentially be a babysitter more generally), one of Alaia's old teachers would do a really good job I think. And is sane, if you care about trifling things like sanity.... ;) Let me know and I'll get your her info.

Kelly S said...

Praying for y'all!

CCA said...

Firsthand report: Claudia ia really handling this well. I thought I'd post this now, while the nanny-adrenaline is running high. Will check back with C&D after a few nights on their own. Good to have sis-Karen on tap to ease the blow. More yoga will be needed!

Rafa and Sylvia are thriving and saluting! They look great. Good job, Mama y Papa.

Teresa said...

"My babies," ninguna otras palabras son mas lindas!!!! Quieres compania y/o ayuda el domingo?? Alessandra tiene ensayo de 1 a 7.