Monday, October 17, 2011

moon power?

Last week we really thought Sylvia was moving from gas to colic.  Starting on Monday, she would cry during and after the afternoon and evening feedings, which seemed like classic colic symptoms.  It culminated Wednesday, when she cried all night long except for two 20-minute periods of calm when she slept.  D went to work on Thursday and a colleague told him that he might laugh, but her boys never slept when there was a full moon.  Since I had been thinking we were in for months of colic and crying (by both Sylvia and her parents), I was pretty pleased to hear another theory that would only mean one bad spell per month.  Sure enough, we haven't had a night like Wednesday since.  I hesitate to admit it here, for fear of jinxing our run.  Sure, it could be something I ate, or a host of other reasons, but we might just have a werewolf on our hands.  Maybe we should have named her Sylvia Luna Vassar instead of Sylvia Mar Vassar. 

5 comments:

Jocelyn said...

interesting theory. Did you ever read the happiest baby on the block book? There are the 5 s's that help soothe baby with colic or otherwise. On of the s's is the shushing sound to recreate the loud womb sound and when baby is unstoppable we have found (by the book's recommendation) that the vacuum works wonders! Makes baby stop really well! We always used it when we couldn't get anything else to work. There is also the hair dryer or radio static as well. Good luck, and if you ever use it, let me know if it worked for you!

tuuli said...

I definitely believe that could be it, especially for a girl. We have that in my family, I have a grandma and aunt who never sleep at full moon... my grandma will be in the kitchen baking at 3 am etc. I used to have it too a little bit when I was younger, but I seem to have outgrown it. Fingers crossed that Sylvia sleeps better outside of the full moon nights!

Kelly S said...

You should dress her up like a werewolf for Halloween!

Karen said...

When life is a bit crazier than usual I always tell Bill it must be a full moon and it usually is. Must be some barametric pressure change or such. But watch as her teeth come in :)

Anonymous said...

ask anyone who has ever worked a graveyard shift ANYWHERE (i am one of them,) and i absolutely believe the "full moon" theory. people get crazy! also, the best way to "wash" crystals is to let them sit out on a full moon outdoors. i also believe in the healing powers of crystals, you may want to look into that. i would recommend rose quartz, it has always helped me. (you know, because you have nothing else going on. ;) xoxo)