Thursday, September 25, 2014

no-slumber party

I'm about to start another interim gig and we have lots of stuff to get done around the house, so after we said goodnight to all the little ones, I retreated to our study to do some work.  D also had things to do, so he came in and also settled down to work.  Apparently, it was a pleasant evening for everyone.  D and I, while we were working, enjoyed some calm time together.  And, Sylvia and Rafa decided to have a party.

Now, I LOVE that they enjoy each other so much.  Watching them share with each other and help each other and be concerned about each other is an incredible joy.  But, when I emerged around 10:30 to start MY bedtime routine, the giggling that erupted from their room was NOT cute.  I mean, their giggling is always cute.  But at 10:30, not cute.  They were lying down and hadn't torn everything off the walls or emptied their cabinets or smeared poop everywhere, so I probably should put it all in perspective.  If they're healthy and hug-able, it can always be worse, right?

While I didn't get as mad as I sometimes get when they won't sleep (usually when I'm also worn out and trying to nap), I did give them a stern talking to about how it's late, they're tired, they have to go to school in the morning, sleep is good for them, blah, blah, blah, which I am certain I will repeat about a gazillion times before all three are off in college.  At least now, when they don't quite tune in to my lecture, they have the excuse that they probably don't quite understand it.  It was too much for them.  They just needed me to tell them enough is enough and sleep.  But, somehow it made me feel better to explain why their mama was putting an end to their fun.  And, go to sleep because mami doesn't want to have to deal with two cranky yous tomorrow somehow didn't come up.  Let's be honest, that's the real reason. 

No comments: