Saturday, September 6, 2014

three

We have had kids for 3 years, now.  I know this isn't really about me and everyone just wants to hear about the kids, but it's a little hard for me to believe that I've been a parent for 3 years.  THREE YEARS.  There's sometime about 3 years that sounds like a really long time.  We've been doing this parenting thing for a long time, now.  They're also more like little people now,--we don't have babies anymore.  We have kids.  It's probably a part of me that's in denial about growing up.  A little like Wendy in Peter Pan, which we read with the kids today. 

We celebrated SylRafa's birthday today with a very low key and for us, wonderful, day.  It was all about being together as a family today.  We did little things to make it special for the kids, but really focused on spending quality time together, without being too distracted by making things fancy.  I thought it was beautiful and I hope they did, too.  And I'm not just making excuses for being slacker parents.  They already had one party with the D's family, they'll have a simple party in school next week, and we'll have a party with extended family, godparents, and possibly a few friends at the end of the month. 

I made pancakes with chocolate in the shape of their initials for their birthday breakfast.  Sylvia got up early and had fun stirring the batter and be a little helper in the kitchen.


 Then came the presents...



 And a ride on the train in Hermann Park with the primos and tios.



It wouldn't be a birthday without a sweet treat and after an afternoon outdoors, popsicles were a hit.

 

1 comment:

Kelly S said...

So sweet. Happy birthday Sylvia & Rafa!