Tuesday, September 16, 2014

on the run

I keep threatening that walking is imminent for little Oscar.  I can fairly safely say that the day is finally here.  He now walks more than he crawls, although there are certainly times when crawling is faster and he gets down on all fours to scurry across the floor. 

Yesterday afternoon, I took the kids for a walk and it was quite different than even 2 months ago.  About 2 months ago, Rafa would have begged to be in a stroller rather than walk.  Sylvia would want to run, but only holding my hand or the stroller, and Oscar would be chillaxin in the stroller.  Yesterday, Oscar refused to sit in the stroller and preferred walking behind and pushing (he made it half way around the block before his little legs were so tired that he was falling more than walking and I put him in), Sylvia went running off as if running were the most fun thing in the world, and even Rafa went charging behind her, most of the way, anyway.  I loved that they were happy to run around the block without needing me exactly by their side.  I also love that they still are really wonderful about not entering the street without holding my hand.

Once we made it around the block once, though, Rafa was a little tired and wanted to go home.  He pushed the envelope a little and asked to cross the street with us to get there, but without holding hands.  I didn't let him.  But, he refused to keep walking.  So, he sat down on the sidewalk.  Guess who always wins the test of stubbornness, oh yeah, me.  We left him and walked over to a neighbor's house who has a garden that is a favorite place to visit of the kids.  It's half a block away and across a street.  While we were at the garden, Rafa decided it would be more fun to join us, so he got up, started running towards us, smiling and shouting "Mami, mami!!!" all the way.  Then, he stopped when he got to the street.  Proud mama moment.  And a big sigh of relief, no lie.  I'm pretty much terrified of my kids getting hit by a car.  Which is probably part of the reason they are so obedient about it.  It's been drilled in them. 

He proudly said to me, "I'm not in a bad mood anymore.  When I was in a bad mood, I sat down, but I'm not in a bad mood anymore."  Then, when it was time to go home, Rafa was the one who didn't want to and wanted to keep walking.  Seriously, boy?

No comments: