Thursday, May 12, 2011

bumbos and boppies and snoogles, oh my!

I think we've already entered the land of baby talk.  Thanks to a multiples community board that I'm a member of, we're getting some great gear at bargain prices.  Amazingly, the 3 purchases I've made so far have also been only a couple minutes from our house.  Today, I asked the hubby what he thought about getting some used bumbos and a boppy all at about 1/4 the price of new.  His response, "Yes, yes!  I'm not completely sure what a boppy is...as compared with a bumbo...but I appreciate that we need both at some point."

For those without kids, the bumbos I'm getting are not rum drinks, but chairs to help teach infants to sit.

A boppy is a pillow that you can use for nursing, tummy time, or just dropping junior in while you go have a bumbo.  For years, it has been voted "the #1 product Moms can't live without" by American Baby readers.

All this talk about bumbos and boppies got me thinking about some of the funny names for baby products we're beginning to add to our vocab.  Snoogle is probably one of our faves.  It's another pillow, but this time for mama.  My sis-in-law and fearless leader into the world of twins graciously let me borrow hers knowing that trying to get comfortable at night is one of the greatest challenges to a twin-preggo (maybe any preggo) mama.  This is pretty much how I sleep with the snoogle at night:

10:30-11:30


11:30-midnight

midnight-1 [repeat]
Some of the other fun product names we've encountered:  Pee-Pee Teepee, Boudreaux's Butt Paste (this was our very first baby gift courtesy of the other side of the family), The Snot Sucker, a Snuzzler, the Hooter Hider (hubby's fave) and perhaps the all-time winner: My Brest Friend.

I've provided the links to the products so you know I'm not making this stuff up. 

5 comments:

eyrieowl said...

They say the Hooter Hider is for "hip" moms, but it looks like the model is wearing a shower. tres 'hip'. I Love the pee-pee teepee...the things I missed out on by not having a boy. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Claud,
I'm finally looking at your blog!! And I have to chip in: the boppy is fine, but don't use the bumbo!!! I know I'm not a mom :-) but we humans are perfectly capable of learning to sit on our own. Kids start to get poor posture (which eventually lead to back problems, all the aches and pains of adult life) when they start going to school; ie, when they start sitting in chairs. The best thing you can do for your kids' bodies is let them discover sitting and standing without the aid of plastic molds. Ok, so I'll get off my soapbox (er, yoga block) now. Miss you!!!

C said...

eyrieowl - any time you want to come over and change Baby B to enjoy the benes of the pee-pee tepee or just take care of a boy, by all means!

K-dawg - how are you?! what if the kiddos learn to sit on their own and we just use that to park and feed them? still bad?

Brandy Hew said...

I am in love with the name "pee-pee tepee", it had the boys rolling! Sadly it wasn't invented yet. We just used a wet wipe to cover till done with the cleanup. I never used anything to help them sit up. While feeding, I used a food bottle(for baby food and cereal)@ about 2 mo. old. Spoon fed in the bouncy chair till about 4 1/2 to 5 mo. when they could sit in a high chair. They both sat alone @ 5 mo.

Jocelyn said...

I don't know if you already got your bumbos or not but don't worry about them giving bad posture. :) They are soft and the kids don't even use them long. They aren't so much for teaching them to sit as just allowing them to sit up with out you having to hold them since at that age they like to be up and looking around but are incapable of doing it yet. We've used ours with both kids and it has been handy. Just don't put the kid in it up on a table because some people have done that and it has fallen. oops.