Sunday, May 8, 2011

happy mother's day

When does one actually become a mother?... 

Shout out to my hubby who brought me breakfast in bed today.  It was absolutely delish. 

French toast with jicama (unpictured is Greek yogurt with strawberries and orange juice).  He's a keeper!
We sort of celebrated.  It was a tough call.  Our first pregnancy in 2008 was shortly before Father's Day and the hubby even received a couple wonderful Father's Day gifts from friends and family.  Our celebrations in 2008 were a little premature...  This pregnancy is totally different, but we're still a little wary. 

Nevertheless, it has been wonderful to be pregnant this Mother's Day.  For the past few years, Mother's Day has been a beautiful day to celebrate my mom, but in some ways tinged with sadness.  At our church, we honor mothers and give out roses to the moms of the most kids (grandkids, greats, etc.), single moms, new moms, and the moms who have been moms the longest.  It's a wonderful celebration.  Then, we pray for moms.  In the prayer, my pastor has consistently included prayers for the people for whom Mother's Day is a difficult day.  For those for whom Mother's Day is a reminder of loss.  For those for whom Mother's Day is a reminder of unfulfilled hopes and dreams.  That used to be me.  My heart still aches for all the ladies out there who struggle with fertility.

I didn't stand up when all moms were asked to stand.  I won't think of myself until a mom until these little guys are born.  But, I'm one step closer.  Next year, God willing, I will be standing.  And holding a rose.

Happy Mother's Day, moms!!

3 comments:

David Vassar said...

Somehow the french toast looked more appetizing in person...

Woven Outreach Ministries said...

Sweet, sweet friend. Words can't even express my joy and excitement for you two (of four). God is good!!! (PS, David, just wait, you'll have help in a few years...it gets better. : ) Love you guys. elizabeth

C said...

WOM - Love your joy, it's contagious!! Love you, too!