Wednesday, May 25, 2011

the kicking has begun!

Feeling the babies move around has definitely lived up to all the hype so far.  My mom said that she didn't feel any of her 3 kids until we each hit 20 weeks.  Like clockwork, Baby A and Baby B have made their movements known right at 20 weeks.  A lawyer on one of my projects told me that she could always feel her kids kick after drinking a glass of orange juice.  We weren't trying that theory out on purpose, but when I definitely knew what I was feeling was the babies and the hubby got to feel it, too, I noticed that I had just downed a glass.  It's interesting to me how some of this pregnancy business is fairly universal.  

I am not a baby-crazy mama.  Babies are a lot of work with very little payoff.  I'm more of a kiddo kind of gal.  I want them to be curious, interact, play, go to the bathroom alone and wipe themselves...  I do believe that the maternal instinct is very strong and realize I might become baby-crazy about my babies when they arrive.  In any case, as hard as we've tried to get to this point, I can't say that I'm perfectly happy about all the sacrifices and entirely enraptured by every little baby-related event.  Of course I'm overall overjoyed, but it's also not difficult for me to ignore my belly and focus on something else for awhile.  I have to admit, though, that I have been waiting for the moment that I knew for sure I was feeling the little kiddos kick and move.  I have had a few sensations over the past few weeks that might have been "kicks" (which is a generic term for all the movement we feel).  I have found myself longing for confirmation that I am feeling the babies moving.  So, this has been a wonderful, and highly-anticipated new experience.  Fortunately for the hubs, he laid his hand on my belly and also felt the babies move so we both got to share in the joy.  It's pretty incredible.  Excuse me while I go pay attention to the little guys pounding on their mama.

No comments: