Thursday, December 22, 2011

Nanny search update

We interviewed about half a dozen ladies to take care of the little babes. For the first few, I was interested in making sure that the ladies were interested in interacting with the kiddos and not just sticking them in a swing and calling it a day. Then we met Norma. She had such a sweet disposition that I thought, even if she doesn't do all the developmental stuff, if our kids pick up her sweet disposition, that's more important. After she left, I asked D who his favorite was. He picked Norma. So, I thought, this is perfect! We both agree! We still had another interview scheduled for the next evening. Gillian showed up and was everything I had hoped for in a nanny before meeting Norma! That was a really difficult decision. Two excellent, although very different candidates. We ended up deciding on Norma and called her on Monday to offer her the job. D gave her the run down, but she said she was driving and asked if she could call us back that night or in the morning. Tuesday, nothing. I sent her a text telling her that I hoped she would accept. Tuesday night, D texted her. Still nothing. I got worried. We certainly don't want to hire a flake! Wednesday, we finally learned that she interviewed with another family that has shorter hours (she would get off at 4) and only one child. Although I'm a little nervous that she would accept with us and look for something better, we are still holding out for her. I'm not sure what we would do if she doesn't accept. Gillian is now in Mexico until in scheduled to start back at work and most of the ladies wanted 2 weeks' notice. So, I guess we are just really hoping Norma will work out and if not, we'll figure something out at that point. It's a little uncharacteristic of me because I tend to plan ahead with plan B and plan C, but I'm trying to embrace a more flexible approach to life since I think I will need that more and more.

Quick baby update, Rafa has started grabbing on to toys by himself. He doesn't look and grab, but does grab if the toy crosses the path of his hands. Sylvia has blessed us with three nights that she went down when we put her down for bed and slept until the evening feeding rather than not going down and only briefly snoozing every once in awhile for a couple hours. We hope it continues. We will be much better parents if we have turned a corner there. Her third time of cooperation was last night, which was a special treat since I went to the hospital to visit a dear friend who had heart surgery on Monday (hubby to Candy, who has been an angel to me and the babies helping out at least once a week and providing heaps of encouragement and laughter). He has had the most amazing recovery so far and looks tremendously good given that they opened his chest for a 6-hour surgery. I was glad Miss Sylvia let D off easy for letting me head out.



No comments: