Sunday, July 10, 2011

too early, kids!!

Yesterday was my niece/nephew twins' baptism and red egg party.  For the festivities, my nephew, Alex, has also been visiting from Mexico.  There have been lots of fun times with Bella, Andrew, Juliana, and Alex this past week.  So, either my body thinks my belly is too big or the kids are anxious to join their cousins.

During the red egg party (Chinese celebration of new life of new baby), I started feeling more frequent tightening of my belly than I had before.  Also, when I'd felt it in the past, it felt like it was only on one side, which could have just been one of the kiddos stretching me to the limits.  This time it was all over.  We went home and I lay down.  My doc has always said a contraction here or there is no problem (so long as there isn't bleeding or other problems).  But, if I have 4 in an hour, give him a call.  So, when I got to the fourth I called.  Told the doc on call that it's my first pregnancy and I don't know exactly what a contraction feels like, but I think I'm having them.  He said, "It's really easy to tell, you come into the hospital and we'll montior you.  How soon can you be here?"  And away we went.


Yup, definitely having contractions.  I'll spare you all the gory hospital details.  For those that speak hospitalese, let me know if you want more and I'll try to fill you in to the best of my ability.  Long story short, my body is preparing for labor.  But we're just shy of 27 weeks...  Much too early.  Of course, given the size of my belly, I can understand why by body is confused.  Really need to make it to at least 32 weeks.  I'm on meds to help stop the contractions and stayed the night in the hospital.  My contractions have slowed to about one or two an hour, so that's good.  The meds cause my heart to race, though, so they're trying to figure out that balance.  Little person needs lower dosage.  I think once they get that under control, they'll let me go home (of course assuming the contractions continue to be very irregular/infrequent), but on bedrest for the rest of my pregnancy, which will hopefully be a LONG time.  Not that I've ever hoped for bedrest, but it is far superior to the alternative.

The doc on call said one day in my belly is developmentally equivalent to one week in the NICU.  So, stay put little guys!!!

Somewhere in there is my belly.  These are the monitors, one for each heartbeat and one for contractions.

Moved from labor and delivery (aka LnD, kinda sounds like a drug....) to antepartum, where I don't have to have the monitors on constantly.  Yay! 
Prayers and positive thoughts for more cooking of the kiddos and my sanity while on bedrest are greatly appreciated!!  Oh, and pray for the hubby who has to take care of all of us!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sending you good thoughts & lots of prayers in hopes that the babies settle down and stay put for at least a few more weeks. No early visits!

Thinking of you. Would love to see you when you are feeling up to a visit. Hugs & prayers, Dee Buehring

Tuuli said...

Hang in there, little babies! Your gifts aren't done yet! ;) And hang in there, Claudia - you have a great attitude about bed rest. Yes, it'll probably get annoying, but it's better than having the babies come too early! Do you think you'll be able to do some work from your bed, or are you pretty much on maternity leave from now on? You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

Jennifer said...

Good thoughts and prayers your way - let me know if you need anything. Jenn Clark

eyrieowl said...

Aww, I'm really sorry that that happened, but I'm very happy that it's more stable now. I really hope this goes super smooth...let the kids know that when we've all said that we can't wait to meet them that it was a just a figure of speech. :)

David Vassar said...

It's strange/funny to me that they don't have better technology than those pink and blue strappy things to hold the monitors on. They really had to work hard to monitor Baby B's heartbeat throughout the stay. The young man is already giving his mom a hard time...

C said...

Dee, would love to see you, when can you come? Call me!

Tuuli, I'm doing some work, but my office is also trying to get up to speed on everything. They're really letting me do whatever I'm up for (and so I don't get bored). We'll have to see. Being horizontal is more exhausting than I expected1

Thanks all for all the prayers and thoughts. I really appreciate it!!