Monday, September 26, 2011

we can do this

Sorry I haven't posted in a couple days, it's been a little bit of a whirlwind for the past couple days.  We have been very good about staying on the 3-hour feeding schedule started by the hospital.  We've only had to do an extra mid-feed twice, both for little Sylvia who seems to be trying really hard to catch up with Rafael.  Unfortunately, since he's such a good sleeper, he's not burning any calories in between feedings and doing an excellent job in putting on weight.  She, on the other hand, is a fussy, little baby and we would appreciate prayers for her (and for us) that her fussiness doesn't turn into colic.  Please God.  Rafael got to visit his pediatrician today and here are the latest stats from their visits:

Sylvia (as of 9.23.11) - 19.5", 5 lb. 5.2 oz.
Rafael (as of 9.26.11) - 19" (although that means he's shorter, so the doc said that's probably user error in measuring him), 6 lb. 10.7 oz.

We have had a night nanny come for the first couple nights.  She'll be here 4 nights a week for a few weeks helping us and the twins adjust to life together.  I was sort of a crazy mom the first night a little uncomfortable with her "method", but we discussed it all and worked out a compromise.  I'm now settling more into trusting her with the kiddos and her methods and realizing that there are plenty of people around the world breaking the "rules" and plenty of generations that did things that are now discouraged.  It will definitely be a lifesaver having her help out with the twins and taking some of the burden off until we get better at all of this.  Not to mention D's being able to sleep most work nights and my being able to rest more since I only get up to pump and she takes care of the twins throughout the night. 

I haven't yet tried a feeding on my own, thanks to Mom and Miss Candy who both have come for a couple daytime feeds.  I might get my chance tomorrow at noon before D's mom arrives for the 3pm feed.  Depending on how the kiddos are doing, I might tandem feed, I might feed them one at a time, or I might bottle feed.  In that order of frustration.  Pray for me.  Tonight I feel up to the challenge, but we'll see how I feel when actually faced with the situation.

No comments: