Thursday, August 4, 2011

all is good!

One of the big lessons for me in this adventure is that much of medicine is an art, not a science.  Of course, the doctors work within a framework, but within that, there is quite a bit of variation on how to address various things and what the "right" decision is.  So, when searching for a doctor, seems to me, the biggest criteria shouldn't be whether you neighbor likes them, but whether they ascribe to a similar philosophy and approach as you do.

I don't think my 2 docs could be more different.  One is VERY laid back and not worried about very much, really.  The other, very strict and conservative about most everything.  So, went to the laid back doc today and he doesn't seem to be worried about anything.  I recently did the 1-hour glucose test and had slightly elevated glucose.  I opted out of the 3-hour because it made me so ill before.  So, I've just been testing my blood sugar to see if I might have gestational diabetes.  My numbers are not ideal, some elevated, some okay.  Today's doc is not concerned about a few spikes here and there, so long as there isn't a pattern of it getting worse.  He did mention that my other doc would probably disagree and would probably put me on insulin.  But, since I have twins and will deliver early, anyway, he's not terribly concerned.  Monitor it and continue a healthy diet, but I'm allowed to splurge on Italian Ice from time to time.  How does he know me so well?!?!  He also said I could reduce my contraction medicine and see how my body does because he thinks I might be able to get off of that.  That will also help my glucose levels because that medication causes my glucose to go up, so hopefully the contractions will continue to stay away and I can get off of that medicine and that will help keep the glucose in check.

So, all in all, I think everything is moving along well.  I have been much more exhausted these past few days than in the past, and continue to realize what a toll this is taking on my body!

We might be getting closer on baby boy's name...

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

I haven't gotten to tell you congratulations yet. I am so excited for you both. I know you guys both are over achievers ;) so I guess baby making should be no exception. Kidding of course. I am so happy that you have made it through these tough 3 years and are so close to finally meeting your beautiful and healthy babies! We had the same problem with naming Josiah. Boy names are tough. I just spent the last couple days reading up on your year since January so I feel caught up. This is Jocelyn, Ken Naquin's wife by the way.